Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Confusions of a computer enthusiast

Alright, its completely messed up...
Everything's just so fast and crazy, you don't even have enough time to understand what's going on!!!

Here I am, trying to decide what to buy and when to buy a new computer. I've been hooked up and am following everything thats happening out there very very closely. And quite frankly, I can't get a fix on the "When" and "What". As soon as something new comes out, I start following it to see if its worth the buy. I read a couple of reviews and verify that the particular part is good and then 'pffff'...that part becomes old and something new is out. All in under one month man...under one month.

Lets imagine the scenario if I do buy a computer now. I'm completely happy with it for the first few days. Ah, life is sweet. Games run amazingly well, movies are perfect, music sounds fantastic. Now 1-2 weeks into the new machine, just 1-2 weeks, news comes out that the price dropped by 100$!!! I bang my head against the table. I can actually hear a voice inside my head "I told you to wait for 2 frigging weeks!!". I collect myself, get calm, and proceed with my new PC and then again, another 2 weeks down, BOOM...some whole new technology is out. And my 1 month old "new" pc suddenly became a "little bit old" pc. I'm talking about the time frame of a MONTH folks. And its not like a PC costs a couple of bucks, its EXPENSIVE!!! Oh the agony.

Now lets imagine I buy the PC after 2 weeks. I'm smirking thinking that I was clever to have waited for 2 weeks. I got the 100$ price drop! And then, 2 weeks down the road, somw whole new technology is out. I bang my head against the table. Oh the agony.

So suffice to say I'm confused. It will remain a never ending cycle. But that's just only one side to the story isn't it?

I probably just need to accept that there never is a so called "Good" time to buy a PC. No matter when we buy it, 2-3 months down the road, its the same story. Always. Probably that is what makes the field that interesting to the enthusiasts. There is always something happening. Something to keep you on your toes. The competition is so fricking awesome. One company releases something and the very next week, some other company is out to kick its a$$. It is no wonder that in this particular field, the developments that have taken place in the past 2 decades surpass any other field for its shear innovation.

You see, on the good side, we can be absolutely certain that technology will never cease to amaze us. We will always be spoiled for choice and the control we have over the different things is just mind boggling. I can be absolutely sure that if some company does release something crappy, I don't have to be limited by it. Somebody else will release something better. I'm talking about hardware folks. Software is a completely different story with just a couple of leaders who take it granted that whatever they make, we will use.

Anyway, I'm going back to the drawing board to once again, look and see at this moment of time, which computer would be the best for me. Let me just wait for 2 weeks and see if something exciting is going to happen. I'm sure there is :)

1 comment:

  1. if it is for a purely gaming purpose it is betta to buy a ps3 or xbox .....i was soo sick of this crapp n went out n bought my self a ps3 now the only game tat is run on my pc is football manager :P .but the sad part is i doo needa bigger pc as most of the software i use[maya,max,cinema 4d,shake,fusion etc] do require a really big one!! :(

    ReplyDelete